Aggressive Criminal Defense Representation
Being charged with a criminal offense, however serious, can be one of the most stressful experiences in a person’s life. Aside from the obvious potential for incarceration and fines, a criminal conviction can have ripple effects in a person’s life, ranging from employment consequences to loss of the right to vote and carry firearms.
At the law office of Patrick K. Moore, PC, criminal law matters are confidently handled by attorney Robert Canard. Rob began honing his criminal advocacy skills before his first semester of law school, interning with the Office of the Public Defender. That training continued throughout law school, culminating in representing clients in the courtroom as soon as he was able with his third-year practice certificate. His skills in the courtroom and record of success led to his selection for the Virginia Super Lawyers list.
A Defense Attorney Respected By His Peers
Following law school, Rob worked at the Pulaski Office of the Public Defender, where he represented over 1,000 clients in just over three years on cases ranging from Trespassing to Aggravated Malicious Wounding. During that time, he earned the respect of local judges and prosecutors while gaining the reputation of being a fierce, devoted and compassionate advocate for his clients who is unafraid to take cases to trial. That willingness earned numerous acquittals for his clients, including several by jury.
Types Of Criminal Defense Matters
We confidently guide clients through the process of dealing with the criminal justice system in a range of felony and misdemeanor matters, including:
- Drunk driving, including driving under the influence (DUI) and driving while intoxicated (DWI)
- Drug offenses, such as possession, sale, distribution and trafficking
- Assault and battery
- Theft crimes, including shoplifting and larceny
- Domestic violence
- White collar crimes, including embezzlement and fraud
- Sex crimes
- Violent crimes, such as manslaughter and murder
The punishments for a conviction on criminal charges can depend on the severity of the crime. A defendant may be facing large monetary fines, restitution to any victims, driver’s license suspension, prison or jail time and other consequences. A conviction can also leave you facing lifelong consequences, such as a criminal record or having to register as a sex offender. To protect yourself, it is essential to enlist an attorney who has your best interests in mind.
A Criminal Defense Attorney Who Gets Results
Please see the list below for some examples of the successful results Robert Canard has obtained for criminal defense clients:
- Acquittal by jury of rape of an incapacitated victim where the commonwealth’s attorney was unable to prove that the complaining witness was under the influence of self-administered drugs
- Acquittal by jury of malicious wounding and strangulation where the complaining witness changed his story between the initial report, preliminary hearing and trial
- Acquittal by jury of assault and battery of a law enforcement officer where the evidence only supported that the defendant had accidentally fallen on the officer
- Acquittal by a judge of driving under the influence where the officer was unable to testify to the results of the field sobriety tests, other than that the defendant had done “poorly”
- Acquittal by a judge of driving under the influence where the officer failed to ask the defendant when he had taken his medication and left him unattended for 30 minutes
- Acquittal by a judge of driving under the influence where the client jumped out of the car and chugged an Ice House following the traffic stop
- Acquittal by a judge of indecent exposure in the New River Valley Regional Jail where the judge ruled that the defendant had a reasonable expectation of privacy in the jail shower
- Acquittal by a judge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor where the commonwealth’s attorney failed to prove that the defendant was over the age of 18
Rob continues to provide that zealous advocacy to clients here at Patrick K. Moore, PC. When you select Rob to represent you, you can be certain that your rights will be exercised to the fullest and no stone will be left unturned.
Take Action Today And Call Us
Criminal defense attorney Rob Canard and our legal team are eager to speak with you about the representation you need and how we can help. Call us today at one of our two convenient locations to schedule an initial consultation; 540-633-1590 for our Radford office or 540-953-1100 for our Blacksburg office. We can also be reached through our online form.
We serve clients throughout the New River Valley and Roanoke Valley. Our offices in Radford and Blacksburg, Virginia, make it convenient for us to meet people at either location or in jail if necessary.